Labor Day became terrifying for Ranessa Ford and her family at 11:00 that night after an unexpected accident took place.
Ranessa was busy canning her renowned salsa when three jars exploded, covering her face and upper body with steaming hot salsa and broken shards of glass.
“I was canning in a pressure cooker,” explained Ranessa. “When I was taking the jars out, I’d put them in a bowl because water evaporated in the pressure cooker. All of a sudden, three of them exploded.”
She was immediately taken to Rush’s Emergency Room. They found where she had burns on 60 percent of her face and more burns on her arms and chest. The next morning, she was transported to the burn center in Jackson where she underwent surgery for skin grafts.
“They had to do cadaver skin on my arms and chest and put placenta center product on my face,” stated Ranessa.
Now, she is home recovering. They expect the recovery process to take about two to four months.
Despite everything she has endured, Ranessa’s faith has remained strong, and she is very appreciative of all the prayers that have been sent up for her.
“I know God is a healer, and He has this,” proclaimed Ranessa.
Family members have started a gofundme page for others to donate to if they would like to assist Ranessa in her recovery efforts. Anyone interested in donated can go to gofund.me/b9272f2d, or just go to gofundme’s website and type in Ranessa Ford and choose “Help Ranessa’s Recovery Journey.”
Donations can also be dropped off to Roxanne Rich at the Stonewall Public Library in Stonewall Town Hall.